"A Higher Standard" a deeper look at ethics

The FSY program is inspired. It has served countless youth and blessed the lives of many who would normally not have the opportunity to attend. I am grateful to be able to be involved in this program.  Each session needs one female teacher and since the ratios of men versus women teachers are not equal within seminary and institutes, women teachers are asked more often to teach sessions.   I love teaching the extra sessions but to an outsider they could see this as un-ethical.  I would say no, because I have a bigger perspective.  The reason ratios are not equal is simple.  Women usually don't apply as often as men to work in seminary and institutes.  The numbers are going up every year and we now have a record number of women teaching.  This is why it is important to look at any situation that might seem unethical with a larger perspective.  

  


We also balance what we know to believe and is true doctrine with teaching with love and understanding on topics that can be hard.  When I was hired one of my final questions was "Can you teach the gospel without personal opinion?"  I thought this was a strange question until I realized that on certain subjects, we only should teach doctrine.  Our own personal opinions might skew what others think.  This is very different from sharing testimony of what we know to be true. 

In any company you are left up to your own designs.  Outside of the Wasatch front this is definitely true.  When you are in a single man seminary unit where you also serve as the principal your work ethic is only observed by you.  You have to show ethics within your own job and integrity.   There is no one to check on you if you are putting in a full-days work.  Especially during the summer, I can go an entire day in my office with zero interaction with anyone else.  

I think I am more sensitive to ethics in the workplace since I understand our payroll is paid for by the tithes of the church.   It causes us all to hopefully be a little more aware of honesty in the workplace. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have you been swearing this whole time?

I'm more like the wicked queen than Snow White