An Amazing journey...for Hobbits and Seminary teachers
There are many types of journeys we can make throughout our lives. We can decide where we want to go, what we want to be when we grow up and who we want to spend our time with. You can even decide if you will have a hero's journey or the villains. This week I was able to focus on what type of character I am while on my own personal journey through mortality. What will people remember about me? Will I be remembered as a good person who tried to be a disciple of Christ? Will I be remembered as the person who continually loses my patience when driving on highway528. We are blessed with free agency so in connection we get to choose how we are remembered. The first step to success is deciding to take the journey to begin with.
Bilbo almost missed the entire journey because of fear of the unknown. He would have never got to know the dwarves, seen middle earth or interacted with a dragon. The unknown is a scary place, but we have to start the journey, or we will never learn. The reading this week emphasized that we needed to "learn how to learn" We learn more when we are active in our lives. As we take steps into the unknown, we learn the risks and the rewards for being there. Going back to college after a 25 year absence was a definite step in the dark. Making the choice was easier however since I couldn't keep my job without it. It catapulted me onto a journey I have been continually putting off for more than two decades.
This journey of going back to school will hopefully help me contribute something meaningful in my life. Taking these steps will open doors for where I can teach and what I can contribute to curriculum.
All of these steps of education however will not matter if I do not leave the world better than I got here, am I a force for good. Bilbo's journey would not have mattered if he hadn't shown integrity on his journey. My hope is that I will continue on my pathway and long after I am gone will be considered one of the heros and not a villian.
Comments
Post a Comment