"Seize the Day" but remember balance

 



"Seize the Day" is a catchy song from the Broadway musical "Newsies" the young news boys from the famous New York strike were trying to convince us that this is the moment.  There is no better time than now to make a difference and change your path.   I felt that this was the theme for this week's study.   Especially on the last few articles of the reading.   Becoming an entrepreneur takes skills, balance and a lack of fear.   How often do we see a need and wish someone would fill it.  Why isn't there some smart person who has a cart like the small drive through snow cone shack in my hometown but instead of snow cones I can just buy a gallon of milk on my way home from work?   I don't want to run into a huge store I want to buy a gallon of milk from the comfort of my car.   Why haven't I done this?  Well, a million reasons come into play.  This is a concept I learned this week was to not fear opportunities that arise.   Especially if the risk is fairly low.  One of my best friends here is a dentist.  A very successful dentist.  I have complained for years how when moving here there was no sort of soda shop.  No Fizz, Sodalicious, nothing.   One day at dinner he announced, hey I bought the rights to a Fizz, I'm going to open one next year?   I was in shock.... What?  you don't know anything about soda shops... you fill cavities all day long.  However, he saw a need and jumped to fill it.   It has been over a year and the new shop is seeing great success.   He to put it lightly "Seized the Day"

We can seize the day at the expense of everything and everyone else.  That is where balance comes in.  I loved the reading this week.  We must be loyal to all the important things in our lives.  Our families, the church, our education and all the other important things.   We cannot lose sight of all of the "things" as we "seize the day"  This can be an easy thing to be caught up in.  In fact, I can see myself being caught up right now.  Taking so many credits, working full time, trying to build an institute program as well as prepare my 18-year-old to leave on a mission in two weeks can be overwhelming.  I need to constantly check myself on what is taking my time.  What can be sacrificed this week  to spend a few more stolen moments with my son.  

I will try to "Seize the Day" but not at the expense of my loyalty to the “things” that matter most.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have you been swearing this whole time?

I'm more like the wicked queen than Snow White